Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sadie Lost Her First Tooth - Literally

Sadie has a lot of friends and classmates who have lost their first tooth this year.  She has been very anxious to join the Lost Tooth Club.  Numerous times over the past few months, she has come to Jill or me, claimed to have a loose tooth and asked us to verify that it was loose.  We usually would say that it was loose, even though it never was.  (Yes, we lie to our children.  Frequently, actually.)

Well this morning, Sadie did it again.  "Daddy, I think I have a loose tooth!  Is it?"  So I dutifully reached into her mouth, pressed on her tooth, and gave it a gentle wiggle.  And you know what, it actually felt a little loose to me.  So I told her, truthfully for once, that it seemed a little loose.  But it definitely was not very loose, so I didn't think it would come out today. 

Well, I was wrong.  Sadie came up to me about an hour later and asked if her mouth was bleeding.  I glanced over.  Her mouth was bleeding, and her tooth was missing.  I told Sadie that she'd lost a tooth.  She was so excited.  She was beaming, radiating excitement.  She'd been waiting so long for this moment, and it was finally here. 


I asked where her tooth was, but she didn't know.  She was playing in the front yard, so we started looking around.  It became obvious pretty quickly, however, that we weren't going to find that little tooth.  Sadie wasn't phased, however.  She said she'd just leave a note for the Tooth Fairy. 

So that's what she did.  I have to say, it's a pretty darned good note.

Lots of nice details here.  The Tooth Fairy, Sadie's tooth in the grass, the blood on her mouth.  It's sad, but Sadie's already a better artist than I ever was.  And in case you can't read that last line, it says, "and plaes give me money." 

2 comments:

Diane said...

Sadie is so sweet, I am sure the tooth fairy was generous:)

Jill, Tom, Sadie, Ashlynn & Brooke said...

She was. Teeth have gotten expensive. Must be inflation.