Friday, July 8, 2011

Brooke's Blessing

A couple of weeks ago, some of my parents, sister Stephanie, brother Casey, and nephews Kyle and Hunter came into town for Brooke's blessing. They were only here for a couple of days, but we managed to pack a lot of activities into those few days. We went to a Padre's game, buried Hunter at the beach, and had a blast at Legoland.

Funny story. The day of the blessing, Brooke had been a little fussy. As I was getting out of the church pew to take Brooke up for the blessing, Jill slipped me a pacifier. Just in case. I smoothly cupped the pacifier in my left hand so no one would notice.

A fairly large group of family members stood in the prayer circle. I held Brooke with my right hand supporting her neck and head, my left hand under her back. Everyone else in the circle put their hands under mine, and we rocked her gently up and down. As soon as I started the blessing, Brooke started to cry. Scott started immediately rocking her more quickly, almost feverishly. I paused the blessing and somehow snaked my left hand out from under from under the pile of hands and popped the pacifier into Brooke's mouth. The pacifier worked its magic immediately, and I gave the blessing. As soon as the blessing was over, I quickly removed the pacifier and held my serene, beatific child up for the congregation to admire.

Later that day, one of the missionaries came up to me and told me how powerful the blessing was. He was amazed at how I had paused and let the spirit calm Brooke down. I thought about not telling him, but I had to confess that while the spirt might have had something to do with it, I had a backup plan, just in case Brooke wasn't in tune with the spirit.

On to the pictures. They are in no particular order, because it's late, and I'm too tired to rearrange them.










Pictures from Brooke's blessing.



Proof that Kyle can, indeed, smile.






Mom and Steph at Legoland




Awwww....





Hunter wanted to get buried.







At the Padres' game. Sadie and Ashlynn were very excited...




...as was Kyle

No comments: